In 1955 the Italian associate of Bardahl bought this Kurtis 500D, less engine, and shipped it to Italy for Ferrari to fit one of their 4.4 litre, 6 cylinder motors. Ferrari lost interest in the project, chiefly because of the time involved to adapt their engine to the 3 speed Offenhauser gearbox supplied with the car. The Maserati brothers finished the project in 1956 and sent the car to Indianapolis for Nino Farina to drive. The car was originally set up with Weber carburetors for gasoline and had to be reworked to run on Hilborn methanol injection. Unreliability and a lack of speed plagued the car. Farina was nearing the end of his career by this time and never qualified for the 500.